The History of Bursledon
Bursledon is one of the older settlements in the Borough of Eastleigh. St Leonard's Church being recorded in the 12th century.
Bursledon has its origins in ship-building and repair based on the River Hamble. HMS Elephant, Flagship for Admiral Nelson at the Battle of Copenhagen was built here. The Hamble river remains of great significance to Bursledon today. There is ongoing marine-related economic activity – recreational sailing, boat repair, chandlery and moorings – as well as being host to national and international designated nature conservation areas.
Bursledon was also at the heart of the strawberry growing market garden industry and with the introduction of the railway became a distribution hub for local growers.
Hampshire's only working Windmill, built in 1814, sits aloft near Windhover Roundabout on the A27. It remains today a popular visitor attraction.
The southern most part of the civil parish includes the oldest part of the settlement, now sitting within the designated Old Bursledon Conservation Area, one of the largest conservation areas in the Eastleigh Borough.In the 1970’s and 80’s Bursledon saw considerable increase in housing and again in 2018/19. Further development is expected to complete over the following 5 years.