The Lowford Centre, Portsmouth Road, Bursledon. Southampton. SO31 8ES|Saturday, August 19, 2017

THE HISTORY OF BURSLEDON

Bursledon Parish Council is made up of five members of staff and twelve Councillors which includes three borough Councillors we also have Bursledon, Hound & Hamble’s County Councillor within our team. We have four main areas within the parish, Bursledon Green, Lowford Village, Pilands Wood & Old Bursledon. Bursledon is one of the older settlements in the Borough of Eastleigh. In the 1970’s and 80’s it accommodated quite considerable development. The parish straddles the M27 motorway, extending to the southern boundaries of Hedge End to the north, and adjoining Hound parish to the west and south. To the east the settlement fronts the Hamble river, which is tidal at this point. Bursledon had its origins in ship-building and repair activities focused on the river. The Hamble river remains of great significance to Bursledon for its ongoing marine-related economic activity – boat repair, chandlery and moorings – as well as its heritage, landscape, nature conservation

Lowford Shops

Lowford Shops

and recreational value.There are tensions between recreational and economic activities and maintaining the landscape and bio diversity interest of the river. The northern part of the parish includes part of the Manor Farm country park which includes some playing fields and provision for children and young people. To the south of the motorway lies the more suburban part of the parish.The southern most portion of the parish includes the oldest area at Old Bursledon. This has a spacious, well-treed character interspersed with narrow country lanes and retains a semi-rural character that is highly valued by its residents. It is excluded from the urban area of the settlement and included within the Old Bursledon Conservation Area, which is one of the largest in the Borough.

The Bursledon Windmill

bursledonwindmillThe parish includes the Bursledon Windmill. This is of historical importance and designated as a conservation area. Bursledon mill is a five storey tower mill with a stage at first floor level. The boat shaped cap is winded by a chain and wheel. The four Common sails are carried on a wooden windshaft, which also carries the wooden brake wheel. This drives the wooden wallower, located at the top of the wooden upright shaft. The wooden great spur wheel at the bottom of the upright shaft drives three pairs of underdrift millstones. Bursledon Windmill was built in 1814, replacing an earlier tower mill which was built in 1766.[3] The machinery of the earlier mill was incorporated into the new mill.[4] In 1814, the mill was mortgaged for £800 for six years. The mill was sold by the mortgagees in 1820.[3] The mill was working until the 1880s. John Cove and his family worked this mill between 1847 and 1871. The UK census shows he had worked a mill in Portsmouth and originally came from Wiltshire. He and his wife Susannah Emmett both came from Wiltshire and are responsible for the nearly all the Cove family in southampton. His daughter Mary married a Jarvis and ran the Jolly Sailor public house in Hamble one of his other daughters ran a market garden at the end of Windmill Lane and his son John Cove became a farm labourer.